Having to overcome a 5 - 2 loss from the match at Shortlands and also having the disappointment of our match last week being abandoned when we were on top our team then had to take on a Shortlands team who had had the opportunity to regroup and also take advantage of an additional practice round.
Early indications were that we were going to have to win 6 matches if we were going to progress to the next round and we sadly fell short winning only 5 matches and going out on points. Great credit must go to all the ladies who played in very challenging circumstances:
- Debbie Conder who recovered from 3 down to win her match 3 and 2
- Rena Jones who battled long and hard against dead eye dick and triumphed on the 17th
- Pat Donovan who despite not being well showed her normal determination but found her opponent too hot to handle going down 6 and 4
- Sue Gofton who saw her 3 hole lead disappear but stuck in to win on the 18th
- Gill Newson playing only her second Pearson match and displaying all her enthusiasm to win 4 and 3
- Lia Kiddie, thrown in at the deep end for her very first Pearson match, who showed her great potential to win 4 and 3
- Diana Scott who overcame her difficulties at Shortlands and battled hard in a very close match eventually losing on the 17th.
My thanks go to you all and also the other ladies that took part in this years matches, Lindsay Hart, Caroline Harrison, Kelly Hanson, Julie Harris, Julia Martin-Harper, Judith Parkhurst and Carol Eldridge. And to all those ladies that played out in front of the matches at West Malling and our supporters. And of course Brenda, Judith and Viv for their support this year.
And in more ways than one it is the end of the road as Brenda and I stand down as your Captains. We have had an amazing 4 years helping you develop into the champions you have become. We have been to two County Finals and missed out on another 2 on points. and of course we have been so proud to be part of the team that became Four County Champions last year.
Our thanks go to everyone who has played in one of our teams, to our wonderful team of caddies and all our supporters. We could not have done it without you and we are just so grateful to you all for allowing us to be part of it.
Helen & Brenda xx
Dear Helen & Brenda,
ReplyDeleteWhat can I say! Yes we were really unlucky this year to be pipped at the post by Shortlands but there is always next year and I have no doubt that 'Team West Malling' will be doing battle again soon!
Our Team is a made up of some very strong players, who put their upmost energy and strength into every match they play, but also made possible with your continued encouragement, support and positive attitude to the Pearson Trophy.
I fully understand your reasons for stepping down as Captain's but I have to say you will both be truly missed!
I for one have enjoyed playing the matches under your rule so I thank you for your great planning, organising, encouragement, food supplies, blog updates and everything else that has made you great Captains!
You can both look forward to playing some golf that is hopefully stress free and most of all enjoyable!
Thank you so much for all you have done!
Debbie xx
Dear Helen and Brenda,
ReplyDeleteThank you both for all the encouragement, banana's, chocolate and hard work.
The dynamic duo will be missed, but the great squad you are leaving behind, will, I'm sure have more success in years to come!
Rena xx
I mirror the sentiments from both Debbie and Rena- this was my first 'proper' year and I really so enjoyed every minute of it. Great team spirit- amazing support and for me a huge learning curve
ReplyDeleteThanks to you all x
Thank you both for all your hard work, in making the team that it was. Also thank you for making me part of that amazing team, I really enjoyed it , didn't realise until then that I had a mean streak . It was also very nice having the great support from everyone one.
ReplyDelete