Congratulations to Pat, Stella and Carol and or course captain Kelly on being runners up in the Tappin Trophy yesterday. It was a very tense match and I thought you all handled it very well.
There was a rules dispute yesterday so I thought I would see how many of us know the correct answer
Rules Question
when taking a penalty drop you measure 2 club lengths from your ball no nearer the hole. Do you
a) use the club you intend to play the shot with
b) use any club in your bag
ooooo, how exciting a bloggers quiz!! I'd (probably ignorantly) say that it
ReplyDeleteis any club you choose (therefore the longest unless you're a bit odd,
unless the longest would put you in a bunker I suppose). Where the ball ends
up may determine what club you actually use, so you can't decide that until
you see where ball is. Blog blog.
Well done Tappin team.
PS. Great day at Hever - thanks again to everyone, especially Carol 5
pointer Eldridge!
If you were carrying a belly putter in your bag, it would be ok to use that? I think you should use the club that you intend to play the shot with. Although, I did see someone in the Tappin final yesterday (no names!!) use her driver to measure her drop and the Referee did not pick her up on it, so perhaps the Referee is happy with option 2 (any club in your bag). It was a very pressured atmosphere at the Tappin Final, with referees and caddies for all the matches. The three players did exceptionally well under very tense conditions.
ReplyDeleteYou know when you start something and wish you hadn't......
ReplyDeleteI thought this was very straight forward - I looked up the ruling in the book, found the answer and that was that.
The question was about a PENALTY drop so the asnwer to this is b) see page 107/108. You have declared the ball unplayable and therefore are taking a penalty of one stroke to drop the ball away from the 'problem'. Rules state in option c
"Drop a ball within two club lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole."
As this doesn't actually say which club one assumes you can use any - but assumptions are dangerous! I am assuming this because, as you will see below, if a SPECIFIC club must be used it does state so.
Where the confusion arrises is when you get free relief from interference from an immovable object such as Ground Under Repair (GUR), mole hill, road etc. see page 23 and 38. You drop the ball within one club length of "the nearest point of relief". Now pay attention! the nearest point of relief is the spot where when you play the shot you are going to play WITH THE CLUB YOU ARE GOING TO PLAY IT WITH means you have no interference. Therefore you use the club you are going to take the shot with to mark the nearest point of relief. THEN you get one club length from that point no nearer the hole for which you can use ANY CLUB IN YOUR BAG.
And REMEMBER - you must take your head cover off any club before using it to measure.
And if you are still confused, don't worry, even KCLGA officials get it wrong!
Thanks Helen, although I am still confused, will have to read it s l o w l y. Mind you the referee confused herself when confronted wtih a fiesty opponent's caddie and later emailed the one behind who said she could use any club to measure with, in particular the driver. Nice to see friendly supporters x
ReplyDeleteLike I said... Blog blog!!!! Ha haaaa!
ReplyDelete